Monday, January 11, 2010

Enough already!


View from the house; we've hit a thaw..apparently!


Sun setting


G'bye sun; we only knew you for a brief moment...but you warmed our toes and noses..we'll miss you.

Please help me. I'm so cold. My nose is permanently pink. The tips of my ears can no longer be felt can you ever feel your ears though?. At a party at Sam's on Saturday night, the temperature was so much on our minds, we even discussed the weather; good for sledging, bad for walking, whether it was stalagmites or stalactites....really, we shouldn't be discussing such things, especially not on a Saturday night! We should be merrily drinking and singing Bohemian Rhapsody at the top of our voices ok, the first person to mention Boxing day gets hurt. Apparently, you remember stalactites as coming downwards because "tights come down". "Yeah" I mumbled "maybe in Fife....". All those over the age of 41 seemed to know this; all us under had no idea what they were on about.

Despite the brief weather talk, it was a lovely Saturday night and the house was toasty...very, very important when accepting invitations these days. We had lovely chilli, guacamole, sour cream, cheese, tortillas, wraps, antipasti, couscous, olives, dips and much, much more. Delicious. Sam even came up with two lovely wee birthday cakes Happy birthday Ann and Ian....*thrrrp* with fireworks on top...yup, actual burn-your-eyebrows-blind-you-for-life fireworks...but we Glaswegians like to live on the edge I know you're not Glaswegian Sam but you have to accept an honorary status after at least 10 years.

The spread; that empty space was filled with glorious couscous!


Ian and Ann's surprise cakes! The now no longer have eyebrows.

During the holiday period, the cold doesn't seem to be as much of a nuisance because the kids are here, we're all playing and snuggling up to watch old movies which is great fun...I forgot how funny My Fair Lady with Audrey Hepburn was:

Mrs. Eynsford-Hill: I do hope we wont have any unseasonable cold spells, they bring on so much influenza. And the whole of our family is susceptible to it.
Eliza Doolittle: My Aunt died of influenza, or so they said. But its my belief they done the old woman in.
Mrs. Higgins: Done her in?
Eliza Doolittle: Yes, lord love you. Why should she die of influenza, when she come through diphtheria right enough the year before. Fairly blue with it she was. They all thought she was dead. But my father, he kept ladling gin down her throat. Then she come to so sudden she bit the bowl right off the spoon.
Mrs. Eynsford-Hill: Dear Me!
Eliza Doolittle: Now what call would a woman with that strength in her have to die of influenza? And what become of her new straw hat that should have come to me?
[pause]
Eliza Doolittle: Somebody pinched it. And what I say is: them 'as pinched it, done her in.
Lord Boxington: Done her in? Done her in did you say?
Lady Boxington: Whatever does it mean?
Mrs. Higgins: Its the new slang meaning someone has killed her.
Mrs. Eynsford-Hill: Surely you don't think someone killed her?
Eliza Doolittle: Do I not? Them she lived with would have killed her for a hatpin, let alone a hat.
Mrs. Eynsford-Hill: But it can't have been right for your father to be pouring spirits down her throat like that, it could have killed her.
Eliza Doolittle: Not her, gin was mother's milk to her. Besides he poured so much down his own throat, he knew the good of it.
Lord Boxington: Do you mean he drank?
Eliza Doolittle: Drank? My word something chronic.
[responding to freddy's laughter]
Eliza Doolittle: Here! What are you sniggering at?
Freddy Eynsford-Hill: The new small talk, you do it so awfully well.
Eliza Doolittle: Well if I was doing it proper, what was you sniggering at? Have I said anything I oughtn't?
Mrs. Higgins: No my dear.
Eliza Doolittle: Well thats a mercy anyhow...

....but after the holidays have past, there is that week. That first week the kids are back to school, I'm barely organised and it's too damn cold anyway! But then we move on to this week. I always like this one as motivation goes up and the blues come down; it's week 3 of the new year already and the cold, despite it being a big blue pain in the pants, is not going to limit me anymore. The heating is on full blast, the thermals have been sent over by helicopter, courtesy of Marks and Sparks and I'm going out. Yes! Out I tell you. If you don't hear from me for a few days, send a mountain rescue team up The Whangie. Tell them to bring gin. Lots of it.


21 comments:

Zuzana said...

It is bitterly cold here too, but I fail to see beautiful sunsets such as yours. STUNNING!
Here sun is hiding in the southeast, but I can see it moves higher up in the sky during the day.
Mmm, your party food looks great, I am sure you know how to entertain.;)
I hope you made it back in one piece, stay warm:;)
xo
Zuzana

Unknown said...

Loved the post! Brilliant adding a touch of My Fair Lady!

Nicole said...

Its ridiculously frigid here too! I want to go back to hawaii! lol. I love your spread for the party, and the little cakes look delish and so nice with the fireworks (even if their eyebrows were burned off:)) there's nothing like a warm cozy party at home to warm the winter spirit. and you're right, definetly a question before saying yes to a winter party! :)

Claudya Martinez said...

Sending you warm thoughts. Now send me some cake!

Mise said...

I'm setting pen to paper, excuse me, comment to comment-box, merely to express my constant and eternal devotion to Bombay gin.

Janice said...

Yep, pretty darn cold here. I think the thaw is colder than the frost IYSWIM. Thermals and gin are the only answer.

Little Ms Blogger said...

And here I thought I was the only one in a winter funk. Ugh....it's killing me.

I went into NYC the other day, but it's Monday and cold. Ugh....

I hate the winter funk and know why bears hibernate.

Amanda {My Life Badly Written} said...

WE are the opposite - it is searing tempretures here in Oz and everyone is worried about Bushfires.

Too hot or too cold is never a joy!

Melissa B. said...

These are some Seriously Superior Snaps! I'm sorry that you're in the deep freeze, but perhaps my felicidades will help warm you up? We're headed toward the 40s and the 50s later this week. Thinking about wearing shorts to work...NOT.

Grannymar said...

I hope you thaw out soon. The colour at sunset is amazing right now but at a bad angle for me to catch on camera. That was some buffet, just looking makes me hungry. Now Sapphire blue makes a rather nice tipple. I'll join you. Cheers!

Kileen said...

Beautiful sunsets! It's been dreadfully cold here too, although by the end of this week we will be warming up a bit. My Fair Lady is one of my favorite musicals, my daughters and I just watched it recently, such a fun movie!

Tracie said...

It's frigid here, too and we have had snow for the last 12 days. Plus, my kids have been off from school.

Let's put it this way. They sunsets were gorgeous but the booze is much more appealing to me right now.

Killara girl said...

Aye gin might help a bit maybe. Our pipes keep freezin. that spread looks so good. good thing we're not neighbours...i'd be over your house at dinner time every night...and me kids!

Katinka said...

Stopping by from SITS and wishing you a Happy Thursday!!!!

Lisa Petrarca said...

Okay first of all your pictures are GORGEOUS! I don't want to tell you that here in The OC it's considered cold if it drops below 60...SORRY! I would hate to live in the cold.

Looks like you definitely make the best of it though!

Debbie said...

I'm tired of being cold too! I'm all wrapped up and trying to type on this laptop.
Those are some impressive sparklers on those cakes:)

Kate said...

Great opost and extra points for the my fair lady part. I love that film.

Kate xx

beagle said...

Beautiful nature photos!

"Cottage By The Sea" said...

Visiting from Sits and loving your blog. So well done. I have a feeling I will be here for a long time. With all your cooking and crafting you make it seem cozy even if it's freezing cold in Scotland. I'm here in Southern California so I don't even know what cold is. It's fun reading about it though! Blessings from the USA

Anonymous said...

Good brief and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Well I to but I think the list inform should secure more info then it has.