Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Shopping List, Scones and Kebabs

Yoga was great although I must admit to taking it easy. It was nice to be with people again and the chat and coffee afterwards was lovely. Ann met me there afterwards for a quick lunch of soup and mince pies and I was home in time to throw the decorations down from the attic for tomorrow's annual baubley pilgrimage.

I shall brave the shops tomorrow and this is my fayre for the week; a bit different to the usual suspects, I'm looking forward to a week of culinary delights, if they work out the way they're supposed to!

  • Irish Stew 1 (I have many versions; Irish Stew 2 next week)
  • Tuscan White Bean Soup with frizzled shallots and pancetta
  • Parmesan coated fish with walnut Romesco sauce served with Puy lentils
  • Spanish Lamb Shoulder with tomatoes and olives
  • Spicy salmon with oven roasted cauliflower and broccoli with garlic and coriander
  • Roast Chicken with lemon cous cous, fried potatoes and petit pois
  • Homemade pizza
A selection of bread and cakes.

Last night, I had a craving, a craving which people in this country usually have after a night on the lash heavy drinking. I was definitely not on the lash but had the craving nonetheless. This delectable, barely edible snack has a few variations, the main being the donner kebab. I personally, have never eaten a donner kebab I'm pretty sure that is a lie, having been on the lash a lot in my younger days and having no idea what I consumed the night before...you're only lying to yourself, Helen!, instinctively knowing that if a mass of meat turning on a big stick smells like that, it probably isn't good for you. I'm not a snob about it, I understand the appeal but I always opt for a chicken kebab; marinaded chunks of chicken, cooked on the bbq, added to pitta bread and smothered in salad and chilli sauce. Mmm mm.

My craving a few nights ago was powerful but having neither the will or the inclination to go in search, I decided to make my own. I used the leftover chicken from the curry which had been frozen; a quick blast in the microwave and it was fine. I made my own version of a pitta by making some paratha dough and rolling it over, like a purse and sealing it shut. I cooked it as usual in the frying pan and it came out well. The salad consisted of shredded lettuce, strips of cucumber and spring onion. The chilli sauce, I would have made as I had all the ingredients to hand but as it is mainly the same ingredients as in spicy onions, I used the remainder of the onions sitting in the fridge and added tomatoes to the mix, blending it to a coarse sauce.


Helen was a happy wee lass. If I was drinking, I'd have definitely had a beer with this.

Kelly wanted scones ready for her return home yesterday and I happily obliged; hers was smothered in Nutella and cream whilst Fraser had butter, jam and cream and Lucy settled for just Nutella.



5 comments:

Melissa B. said...

Oh, I *heart* scones. Real ones. If you have a recipe, I'd greatly appreciate it...

Unknown said...

It all sounds so wonderful! I never think to buy Nutella even though the kids love it! I've done similar to the donner kabobs only I use grilled chicken that has been marinated in Greek seasonings, a "salad" of tomatoes, red onions, green peppers and lettuce topped with a cucumber yogurt sauce. Wrap it all in a pita and it's heaven in your mouth. I'll have to do your version sometime as I love curried chicken and I think it would indeed go well with a chili sauce!

Zuzana said...

Your home always sound so cosy and full of life and your food pictures are amazing.;)
xo
Zuzana

Little Ms Blogger said...

I love scones, but food on a stick is amazing! I can see why so many people would go for a donner kebah after a night of drinking.

Glad to hear yoga went well.

Maria said...

Sounds like a craving I too get from time to time!