Sunday, July 25, 2010

101 Ways to Cook Vegetables

I sit here typing, unable to move out of this space as a structure has been built up behind me, ceiling high, made up of cushions, tripods, brushes and blankets; it is precarious, to say the least.   To the left of me is four children, eagerly watching Corpse Bride, heads held in hands, stuck out of said structure.  To the right of me is my husband, drilling a hole in something and cutting wires for reasons unknown to me although I'm sure he explained it less than twenty minutes before.  I feel rather trapped.  

This makes me consider the need for emergency supplies; a secret squirrelling of sweet and salty snacks to keep me going for an undetermined level of time, hidden beneath my computer desk.   I'd start with a kettle that plugs into a hard drive surely such a thing has been invented? for that ever needed cup of tea or coffee.   A supply of Reese's Cups would be nice or my own version, tucked into an airtight container.   Some crunchy Kettle crisps would be a must and maybe a bottle of fizzy or two coke, Irn Bru, champagne...... A packet of midget gems or Sports gums could keep me alive here for years 20 minutes and some sweet tomatoes with a little packet of salt to dip them into.

Or I could just crawl over the couch.

Take a blagged bucket of veg, fresh from a farm and ponder their fate:

Way no. 13:
Vegetable Curry

Chop, peel and wash fresh veg and sliced garlic and fry in a little oil with cumin seeds, ground ginger, ground cumin, kalonji seeds, cinnamon stick and curry powder.   Add a little turmeric.   Add tomatoes.   Stir gently and add a little vegetable stock and cook until soft.  Add a little coconut paste and yoghurt and serve with homemade cumin bread......

Cumin Bread with Kalonji Seeds

Mix together equal quantities of wholemeal and white flour with a pinch of salt and a sprinkling of kalonji seeds and toasted cumin seeds.   Add a little oil and mix.   Add some cold water, enough to form a nice ball of dough and knead for five minutes.   Wrap in clingfilm and place in the fridge for 30 minutes.  

Remove from fridge and roll out on some sprinkled flour until roughly the size of the pan you are cooking it in.   Heat a little oil in said pan and when really hot, dump in the dough.   It will brown and start to rise immediately.   Press down all over and after a minute, turn over.   Press down once more.   Brush with a little melted butter and sprinkle with salt.   Eat with curry and a spoonful of yoghurt on the side.   Mmmm.

Way no. 42:
Spinach & Rocket Pesto Pasta with grilled and toasted vegetables

Place quartered onions and tomatoes in a hot oven, drizzled with olive oil, salt and a sprinkling of oregano.   Thinly slice the courgette and griddle or grill after brushing with yet more olive oil.   Sprinkle with salt and pepper when cooked.   Cook pasta and toss with a little pesto...basil pesto works just as well.   Top with veg and chopped, fresh basil and some more black pepper....enjoy.

7 comments:

Sumandebray said...

Perfect freshness for a summer midday
A another great collage that we also call food

The Blonde Duck said...

This all sounds so good. I've really gotten into curry lately!

Jennifer Oberth said...

Wow! Beats my 'bake a potato' or 'boil some spinach'...

koralee said...

Wow...really 101 ways to cook vegetables! I love pesto...this looks amazing. xoxoxoxo

Debbie said...

Yum! There is no equal to fresh veggies.

aladdinsane12 said...

that cumin bread looks amazing! like a giant pizza...with no cheese...

i could never get into rocket, though. it's too spiky and it always gets caught in my throat. i don't like aggressive vegetables.

vacation to maldives said...

Great post, thank for share! I will return this blog to read more useful posts. Thanks!