Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Back to Basics

The shopping cost for the week came to under £40 (see receipt below); we have lots in the freezer and fridge and I think we should manage well for the next 10 days with £10 for sundries.

The menu this week:

Recipes to follow!

Lunches will be coked ham, cheese, homemade bread, soup, salads and egg and cress sandwiches.   Desserts will no doubt involve lemons, since I bought a huge bag of them...I'm thinking lemon meringue pie and lemon cake, brownies, cupcakes and pancakes.

Some dishes from the past month......

First attempt at Whoopees, so called because when the Amish men in America discovered them in their lunchboxes, they'd cry "whoopee!"; tasty but not quite the way they were meant to be.   They're supposed to be half cake, half biscuit but they resembled giant gypsy creams and were definitely more cookie than crumble.  Not that the kids complained!   I made the first batch for Val G and they went down rather well at her hoose.   They don't keep well though.   I'll make another batch with the added addition of baking powder and post the recipe if it works. 

Yet another tasty Salad

Chicken Pie

Mini Chicken Pies!

Helen is Happy With Her Chicken Pie.   Can you tell?


14 comments:

WeeSally said...

Yay. Love seeing you post again. Looking forward to the recipes following :)

Brittany said...

Mmmm... gotta love whoppee pies.

Your mini chicken pot pies are so cute!

Drew said...

Your food looks delish! I'm in desperate need of food inspiration right now since I've kind of been in a funk since moving. Can't wait to see the recipes!

Maggie S said...

Good Morning (here), Stopping by from SITS. Your blog is darling. I have a number of Amish cookbooks that include Whoopie Pie recipes (yeah I know, cookies not pies...that is what they call them here)I could shoot you a couple to see if you could diagnose your differences???

I am really encouraged to see your efforts to feed wholesome beautiful meals on a budget.

Helen McGinn said...

Thanks Wee Sally!

Brittany, they were tasty wee things. :O)

Bakergirl, hope I can help...lots of new recipes coming.

Maggie, that would be great! x

e said...

So wonderful to see you back, Helen. Everything looks so delicious, i wouldn't know where to begin. And you made a Whoopie Pie. I haven't seen one of those since i left the States. Can a Mississippi Mud Pie be far behind? ;) Coming here always cheers me up, thank you. :) Looking forward to seeing those recipes! Lizzy

Helen McGinn said...

Hi Lizzy, thank you, it's so good to see you too. I am contemplating a Mississippi Mud Pie oddly enough! I have this cookbook from a bakery that does lots of American style cakes and that's next on my list, after the lemon meringue. Wish you could have a bit. :O) x

Lynn from For Love or Funny said...

You always inspire me to try to spend less at the grocery store. (stopping by from SITS!)

Vivianne's Vista said...

Everything looks.absolutely.delicious. Especially the pie. (I'm very partial to pastries!) Thank you for stopping by my blog today!

Maria said...

Food, glorious food! Glad you're back, lass!

Missy said...

Hello! I love your blog -- so real. I live and grew up in amish country Berlin, OH. We have the biggest settlement anywhere! Whoopie Pies are one of my favorites and I have the best recipe for them. The key ingredients in the cream filling are marshmallow creme and a whole egg! Don't gasp -- none of us here in the country have ever died from eating a raw egg...haha. I'm sure I'll gets lots of flack for that. You can make it without the egg, but there is just something about the consistency when you add it. Yum. If you want the recipe let me know!

aladdinsane12 said...

ooh! i've never had a whoopee- they look great, even if they didn't turn out exactly as you'd hoped.

Killara girl said...

yum, yum and yum....i just love your menu plaque...too cute. i just realized looking down at all your wonderful food, it's been forever since i baked a chicken....but my new stove heats up the kitchen like crazy.

looks like you folks have been having a wonderful summer!

Virginia Mom said...

Your chicken pies look great... your pastry crust turned out nicely! (Love the picture of you with the big Chicken Pie, too... reminds me of some of the "Happy Homemaker" photos from the 1950's!) :) Your Whoopee Pies looked like they would be yummy- almost like brownies with cream filling!