Sunday, July 26, 2009

No Use Crying Over Spilled Milk...or Eggs, or Salt, or Scales

I had a small 'accident' today; on preparing the Yorkshire pudding batter, I seemingly slipped on something and nothing, pulling down a bowl filled with eggs, salt and milk alongside the electric whisk, scales, glass and my dignity with me. We all ended on the floor, me in a heap, ankle (....for those of you who read about my other 'little' accident....the SAME freaking ankle...) all askew, milk and eggs running down the counter, into the toaster and all over the floor running away in all directions, trying to cover as much floor space as possible.

The new electronic scales lay upside down, seeped in milky batter, a glass tottered around the floor, little shards glinting from my big toe. I sat there, horrified and then yelped out loud at my own idiotic, irritating stupidity. Kelly came running through, all concerned to see her mummy lying in a heap, uncooked Yorkshire pudding surrounding her; she;d have been less shocked if it had been blood.

She tried to come to my rescue, the wee soul but I told her to go get daddy who no doubt sighed when Kelly suggested that there had been an accident. The clumsiness of his daft wife (who has realised that these 'episodes' happen 1 month apart...)must irk, especially as he usually has to pick up the pieces; he came down the stairs to rescue me.

Before he arrived, as I sat with my face in my hands, I saw two little feet heading towards me; I peeked out from between my fingers to see Fraser suddenly freeze, take in the situation and slowly retrace his steps backwards, like a cartoon burglar, hoping to have not been seen. This was less to do with the fact that he didn't want to help and more to do with him thinking he'd somehow, somewhere, get blamed. He is of the Bart Simpson school of "It wasn't me!" even if caught with cookies in his hand and chocolate round his face.

Brian cleaned everything up, fixed the scales although they kept saying 'error'...a bit like my head...and I sighed, got out more eggs, weighted scales and started all over again. To add insult to injury, I had to use the hand whisk as the electric ones had egg yolk running up inside the plughole.

We eventually had a meal of roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, buttered baby jersey potatoes and a variety of vegetables. With gravy. Lots of gravy.

Vintage Kitty....I couldn't leave a comment or message, then I saw your wee tag; hope everything is ok! x

6 comments:

Claudya Martinez said...

You poor thing!

Tami (Pixeltrash) said...

Oh no.... don't you hate when things like that happen? Well, I hope you weren't too hurt. And the food looks fantastic, so at least you were able to pull it all together and have yourself a good meal!

I just found you on SITS. Have a great week!

Single Mama NYC said...

If I actually ever cooked anything from scratch I'd probably be having mishaps like these at least once a week. At LEAST. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise for me that I am hopelessly challenged in the culinary arts and do my best work sauteing small pieces of chicken and serving them with already pureed sweet potatoes?
...sigh...

Helen McGinn said...

Unknown Mami, Tami....thank you, it's mostly my pride that's hurt...*L*
Single Mami NYC...actually, sauteed pieces of chicken with sweet potato sounds lovely!

The Vintage Kitten said...

Aww poor you! I only laughed when I knew you were ok Hee Hee! I suffer from the monthly Norman Wisdoms too LOL! Your dinner looked delicious despite the batter drama. Ive turned my comments off as for months I have had a 'not very nice' commentor. It started not long after I started my blog and then they went away, but came back again so the only way of me enjoying blogging is not seeing their comments at all. Im still around though, cant get rid of me that easy X

Helen McGinn said...

Wee b%&^*%. I'm delighted you are still around, I love your blog ergo you! x