Thursday, September 10, 2009

My wee ill laddie

Fraser didn't look great this morning and I hummed and hawed about sending him to school. He'd spent the night in my bed, tossing and turning and talking to himself. He looked pale and was coughing but was energetic enough. He wanted to go.

As he was about to be picked up, I looked at him, standing on the top step, looking down at me with a glassy eyed expression. "Do you need a hug?" I said. He nodded his reply and slowly came down the stairs. At that point, Lyn arrived and it was all a mad rush to get them in the car. I stood at the door, confused as I was about to tell him to stay at home. But off he went and I was sure he'd be ok but it didn't feel right. Instinct, girls, instinct.

I had coffee and scrambled eggs with smoked salmon for breakfast and contemplated the day ahead. We have sunshine again, five days of it apparently although I've missed all potential doses of vitamin E. I began to get ready when the phone rang; Fraser was being sent home from school. I felt just awful for having sent him in the first place. Poor wee lamb. My friend Sam picked him up for me...thank you Sam...and brought home a fragile, pale, bug eyed wee laddie in need of tender loving care and lots of hugs.

He seemed not that bad to begin with; my boy, unlike my girls, takes it in his stride. No wailing or demands from him. I made him a cheese toastie and it went downhill from there. Not because of the cheese toastie I hasten to add. He became feverish and hot, felt sick and was mumbling to himself. I cooled his furrowed brow, gave him the last of the medicine...my sis is bringing me more...and made sure he had plenty to drink.

Now my mind was turned to how I was going to get the girls.

Luckily, Lyn came to the rescue once again...I have new found respect for single parents....and I sat with him in the bathroom for a while. He now lies sleeping, moaning from time to time, coughing and looking so tiny and forlorn. This is what husband comes back to tonight, what a shame.

11 comments:

Little Ms Blogger said...

Poor little guy. I hope it is contained to him and doesn't spread throughout the house.

Anna said...

i hope he starts to feel better! (and that the rest of you keep healthy!!)

i had a "i need a hug moment" already twice today! whats up with that?!

xo-

Sassy Chica said...

awe, hope he gets well soon!

Smooches,
Sassy Chica

The Vintage Kitten said...

Aww the poor little thing. I hope he feels better tomorrow X

Claudya Martinez said...

Oh, I hope he feels better soon. Maybe a hug from Daddy will help.

Amanda {My Life Badly Written} said...

Poor little man - hope he is better today!

Silver said...

i hope Fraser feels better soon..poor thing.

(Y know something.. maybe it's only happening to me- but i often find problem trying to post a comment here.. it would take a long time to load and only after a few re tries like getting back and forth- then it will open this for me..)

~Silver

Helen McGinn said...

Thanks folks. He is still not well but already better. :O)

Silver, thanks, I'll ask around. x

confused homemaker said...

Hope he feels better soon!! It's no fun to feel like that.

beagle said...

Poor guy, I hope he feels better soon!

Anonymous said...

It is useful to try everything in practise anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)