Thursday, June 11, 2009

Helen's Homemade Crisps


Mmmmm. Let me repeat that; Mmmmmmm! I love home-made crisps but since I've been cutting down in all those little ways that make a difference...you know, fat, fried potatoes, fat soaked potatoes...I don't make them that often but I felt the need to share.
Helen's Homemade Crisps

2 large Maris Piper Potatoes
Vegetable or Sunflower oil for frying

Keep the skins on for added flavour and crunchiness. Slice potatoes with a mandolin and place in some cold water. Give them a stir and then drain and dry on kitchen towel. Heat oil until very hot and drop in a handful of potato slices at a time. Give them a stir, separating them as you go along using a slotted spoon. You want to remove them whilst some slices are brown and some still quite pale. Remove and place on more kitchen towel. Repeat as often as necessary until all crisps are cooked. Pat to dry and sprinkle with sea salt. Leave for 5-10 minutes to crisp up.

Keeping it simple, I usually add some extra sea salt and a great big grinding of freshly ground black pepper. Some of the crisps will still be a little soft and most will be crispy...this is the perfect combination. You can add some paprika, vinegar, chilli powder or celery salt, whatever takes your fancy. You must have a remote control, a blanket and a good film handy!

Enjoy!

6 comments:

Aubrey said...

Wow! Your blog is speaking to me being a family of 5! Always looking for ways to save!

Coming by from SITS! Hello and Welcome!

Claudya Martinez said...

My mouth is watering!

Jen said...

Oooo, that looks good. Just stopped by from SITS to say hello and welcome.

Mamarazzi said...

oh YUM!! we love cutting up the sweet potoato and baking them with a little sprinkle of EVOO...yummy!!

I am here to welcome you to SITS (I know I am late, but we like to spread out the L-O-V-E)! You are going to love this community of amazing women, the SITStahood rocks!

Come by my blog Dandelion Wishes and say hello. And if you like follow me...I do a monthly drawing for fun prizes EXCLUSIVLEY from my list of followers...JUST for following, cool right?

Christina - Rant Rave Roll said...

My kids love these. They usually eat them faster than I can make them!

Wanted to stop by and welcome you to SITS. Thanks for joining. You will love it... It's a great community.

Ash said...

Oh. My.

I just licked my monitor.

Welcome to SiTS!!! Em