Monday, June 1, 2009

Low Fat Fish n' Chips

Gosh, it's hot. The fish needed to be cooked tonight so the 'suitable for a sunny day salad' was put aside and the haddock was brought out. I didn't dip the fish in egg wash as I'd normally do, instead, I placed the fillets on the baking tray (on foil) and pressed the breadcrumbs onto the fish. The breadcrumbs were simply a slice of bread, blended with a sprinkling of salt, freshly ground black pepper and cayenne pepper. Two large fish fillets were coated with some breadcrumbs left over.

The sweet potato (I used half for Brian and I) was peeled and sliced into chip size; normally I'd do these chunky but tonight they were cut small so that they would cook quicker. I've spent the entire day at school courtesy of sports day and hardly had time for lunch; hunger was getting the better of me and the fridge was calling my name.

I poured over the potato chips a little drizzle of walnut oil, some freshly ground black pepper, salt, a little cayenne and a sprinkling of piri piri. I mixed it all together, placed it in an oven proof dish and roasted at 220 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes. Just keep your eye on them. Test if ready by sticking a fork in; it should be soft.

I then moved the dish from the top shelf to the one underneath and place the fish fillets on the top shelf. I turned the oven down to 200. After a further 10-12 minutes, it was ready. I served with some quickly made tartare (capers, parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper mixed into some light mayonnaise and stirred), some salad and bread and butter. Delicious. It made no difference that it wasn't deep fried or coated in egg first, this was simply tasty. Brian found the chips a bit too spicy...they were...so a bit easy with the piri piri and cayenne next time.

The kids are being fed at The Broons as they have a swimming pool and we don't...so bye bye, mum!

1 comment:

Annie McGraw said...

Made it Helen, it was lovely, thanks!

~A~